Here are ten facts from the team at TastyMoments:
- First and foremost, we should mention the mental benefits. Because of the happy hormones that are released while cycling – the sport is proven to boost a child’s sense of wellbeing. Add to that the improvements in their physique and general health, and you will soon see a boost in their self-esteem to reveal a self-confident, self-assured individual.
- Cardiovascular fitness builds muscles that are essential for optimal functioning in everyday situations. In addition to the physical benefits, enhanced spatial awareness is a fringe benefit.
- Cycling requires balance – and once learnt, it is something we never unlearn. Therefore, learning to ride a motorcycle or scooter later in life comes naturally.
- It improves body posture and promotes coordination. A rider instinctively learns that the direction in which you look is where you will be going. Look to your right, and you will soon be travelling in the right direction. Right?
- People who ride bicycles have greater bone density, which will stand everyone in good stead, especially later on in life.
- This sport combines ‘gym’ with the outdoors. Early morning or late afternoon rides can engender an appreciation for often unnoticed natural beauty, such as a spectacular sunrise or sunset.
- Eat what you like! A half an hour ride uses up between 250 and 500 calories, depending on the route. So, a few slices of Ital Pizza followed by a ball of ice cream could be a great way for a family to bond.
- In the long run, non-weight bearing activities are preferable. Running, hockey, rugby, tennis, netball, and other high impact sports can affect joints, but cycling spares the knees and hips.
- Blood flow to the brain increases during physical exertion. This ensures brain health, which could improve cognitive skills. Yip, you might even see higher marks for math next time.
- Lastly, everyone will benefit from a better quality of sleep. Dreaming about seeing the kids in dreamland? Say hello to your new family sport. Just make sure everyone knows the rules of the road. ‘Cause bikes rule, dude!
Enjoy these TastyTips?
PS. Have one of your own? Let us know in the comment section below.
Like this article? Share it with your friends.