For Hectic Moms – Tips To Make More Me-Time
Bored? We’ve got your next obsession sorted! Podcasts are here to stay.
Here’s why and a few recommendations to get you started.
Podcasts are more popular than ever. These audio programmes are like talk radio on demand. Usually episodic, you can subscribe to podcasts and listen to them on your smartphone or laptop. Podcasts are similar to radio shows, but they’re generally dedicated to a specific theme or topic and you can listen to them whenever it suits you.
The best bit? You don’t need to be a tech-person to access this fantastic world of (usually) free content. iPhones come with the Podcast app as part of the phone’s set-up, but you can also easily access podcasts on a variety of apps on the Google Play Store (for Android users) or simply use Spotify (which works on both iPhones and Android phones). If you can prepare an Ital Pizza, you can manage to find and listen to a podcast. And, if you’re still stuck, grab a Millennial and ask them to show you how, it’s easier than you think, we promise!
Podcasts are an ideal tool if you want to learn more about the world and grow as a person. Here are four good reasons from TastyMoments on why listening to podcasts will make your life better:
Mindless Chores Become Entertaining
Housecleaning is a breeze when you’re listening to a riveting true-crime story or learning more about what makes people tick. Podcasts are PERFECT companions for mindless chores like washing the dishes or ironing clothes. Time flies by when your brain is busy and entertained.
They’re Usually Short-ish
Forget long and expensive audiobooks, podcasts are perfect for short-ish snippets of information and usually take on a more conversational or journalistic format. They’re ideal for car-trips (long or short) or for when loadshedding hits and you all need a bit of entertainment in the dark.
You Can Learn Almost Anything
The beautiful thing about podcasts is that they cover such a broad spectrum of topics and interests. If you want to learn about something, we can guarantee you that there will be a podcast on the subject.
It’s Free Entertainment
In a world where nothing comes for free, podcasts are a rarity. You can listen to the world’s finest minds discussing almost anything, for nada, niks and gratis!
Your next challenge will be what to choose to listen to first. There is a whole universe of content ranging from comedy, exciting facts, true crime stories and hard-hitting journalism.
We recommend you cut your teeth on these globally acclaimed shows:
- Serial – This is THE most successful podcast in the world to-date. Brought to you by American radio experts, NPR, Serial Season 1 is a true-crime podcast on one of the strangest crime stories ever told.
- No Such Thing As A Fish – If you’re a fan of the British hit TV show, QI, you will love this podcast. Presented by four of the QI ‘elves’, they bring you bizarre facts every week that will thrill your inner nerd.
- The Mom Hour – This is a must-listen podcast for anyone who has kids. Tackling subjects from body confidence to newborn attachment challenges (and how to cope with them), this podcast is sure to comfort you when you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed by motherhood.
- The Tim Ferriss Show – The author of the Four Hour Work Week interviews celebrities, business leaders and all-round interesting people in this award-winning podcast. This is get-up-and-go-conquer-the-world-listening.
- The Happiness Lab – Started by a Yale Professor, Dr Laurie Santos, this podcast aims to unpack the science of happiness, to change the way we think about it! A must-listen in these anxious, COVID times.
Enjoy these TastyTips?
PS. Have one of your own? Let us know in the comment section below.
Like this article? Share it with your friends.