Most people experience their homes, however humble, as peaceful havens where they feel safe and secure. So how do we ensure that our homes hold the same magic for our families? Here are 7 tips from the TastyMoments team to help you get your family into Zen mode, whether you’re quarantining or not.
- Even within a tight budget, we can try and make our homes as comfortable and lovely as possible. That vintage wooden crate on the veranda can double up as a footrest for grandpa. And the picture frame from the charity shop can be repurposed to hold a child’s precious drawing. There’s no end to what a good coat of paint can do.
- Develop rituals. You could turn dinnertime into special and intimate family occasion to close off the day. And these easy recipes should make it easier than ever. Or make sure that a hot cup of refreshing tea is ready when everyone gets back from work. Best yet, bake a fresh cake every Sunday. The smell alone is enough to create up special memories …
- Bring a bit of nature into the home. Plants create a feeling of serenity. Next time you see a bunch of succulents, pick a few cuttings and stick them in a container. You will have low maintenance, always-on ‘flower arrangements’ in no time.
- As important as it is to get rid of clutter in your home, it is equally essential to get rid of technology clutter. We know, there is no escaping it. But if you can implement a simple rule such as ‘no mobile phones at the dinner table’, you’re winning. Maybe you can actually – you know – talkto each other?
- Staying with tech, try to persuade your household to silence their phones so that no one is receiving alerts after bedtime. These are not called ‘alerts’ for nothing – they can disturb sleep. And most smartphones now have a functionality, which can override the silence functionality in an emergency (for example if someone calls more than once).
- Speak kindly and laugh a lot. Life is hard and can be quite absurd. It is vital to be able to laugh AT the little things and try to laugh OFF the big stuff. We are not in control, but we are in control of how we make our families feel.
- Light a candle on special nights such as a birthday. As the saying goes, ‘Even a single candle can banish darkness’. There is something magically reassuring about staring at a flame. No wonder fireplaces are called bushveld TVs!
Now, enjoy harmony and love. May the Force be with you.
Enjoy these TastyTips?
PS. Have one of your own? Let us know in the comment section below.
Like this article? Share it with your friends.