- Pierce the film covering your macaroni &cheese and place in the microwave for 8 minutes.
- Bacon: If you don’t have any left-over cooked bacon, this is when you remove 4 slivers from your packet and dry fry them on a non-stick pan, until they are nice and crispy! Set aside.
- Now, let’s work on the phyllo first. Make sure the phyllo pastry has thawed throughout; otherwise it will make working with it very difficult.
- On your cutting board, unfold the phyllo, finding the centre. Make sure that the sheets are all aligned.
- You are now going to use a sharp knife to cut through the phyllo. Divide the phyllo into 6 equal parts.
- Make sure you cut right through the stacked phyllo otherwise when you try to pull the stack of phyllo apart, if not cut through, they will tear. Press very firmly when cutting.
- Once done, stack the 6 piles of phyllo together, align them and then trim off the edges with the same sharp knife. This helps to make sure all the phyllo squares are the same size.
- Place the phyllo on a plate and cover with a damp cloth, so that the sheets don’t dry out.
- By this stage the macaroni cheese is ready, remove from microwave and decant into your bowl.
- Take your fried bacon strips and using scissors, cut them into slivers and place into bowl with macaroni and cheese. Set some aside for garnishing.
- Add your cheddar cheese to the bowl.
- Add the diced spring onions, some salt and black pepper to taste and mix until all the ingredients have fused together beautifully. Set aside.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE YOUR PHYLLO CUP- CAKES
- Grease your muffin tin and set aside.
- Now, on your cutting board, place 3 sheets from your pile of phyllo pastry and gently coat each sheet with a drizzle of your melted butter. Make sure that each layer is rotated slightly clockwise, when you place them on top of each other, creating a star-like effect.
- Take your 3 sheets that have become one and tuck into one of the muffin cups.
- Spoon a tablespoon of your mixture into your phyllo cup and fold in the phyllo edges. Use the melted butter to coat (stick) the overlapping phyllo together. Repeat until all 6 muffin cups are done.
- In a small ramekin, place your egg yolk with a teaspoon of milk and mix. Doesn’t matter what type of milk. The milk helps to dissolve the consistency of the yolk.
- Now, with your brush, gently coat the top of your phyllo cups with your egg/milk mixture.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sesame seeds over each phyllo cup-cake and you are now ready to place the muffin tin into a preheated 180 deg oven, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden in colour.
Please Note: Phyllo pastry bakes very quickly, so keep your eye on the pastry so you don’t burn the tops.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow your delicious mac and cheese phyllo cup- cakes to rest before biting into them.
- Remove from muffin tin and garnish with bacon slivers and diced spring onion.
Now call the family, eat and enjoy. Perfect comfort food for a cold South African winter night!
Just remember, you don’t always have to share! #justsaying